The Economic Impact of Arizona's Hospitals
In addition to playing a vital role in meeting the healthcare needs of our state's residents, Arizona hospitals are becoming increasingly important to Arizona's overall economic health:
- Arizona's hospitals and their employees support hundreds of thousands of jobs throughout the state by purchasing goods and services from other Arizona businesses.
- Arizona's hospitals provide more than 73,000 jobs for our state's residents.
- The average annual compensation for Arizona hospital employees is $54,400, or 17.7 percent higher than the average employee compensation in Arizona industries overall.
- 192,100 Arizona jobs - more than the combined populations of Coconino, Graham and Santa Cruz counties - are linked to hospitals.
- New hospitals and expansion programs are creating more jobs that pay higher than average wages; from 2007-2011 these projects will create 14,900 new Arizona jobs each year.
- Arizona's hospitals contribute to the success of our state's emerging biosciences industry by providing vital facilities and health services.