Hospital Engagement Network (HEN)
As part of the Partnership for Patients (PFP) initiative, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) provided funding to establish 26 Hospital Engagement Networks (HENs) across the country to improve the quality, safety and affordability of healthcare for all Americans. The Health Research and Educational Trust (HRET), an affiliate of the American Hospital Association (AHA), was one of the 26 organizations to receive funding to become a HEN. The AHA/HRET is four times larger than the next biggest HEN in the United States, representing more than 30 state and regional hospital associations and more than 1,700 hospitals.
The Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association (AzHHA) is partnering with the AHA/HRET HEN to provide collaborative patient safety and quality improvement resources to our 24 participating hospitals. This initiative has two stated goals over a two-year period:
1. Reduce preventable patient harm by 40%
2. Reduce hospital readmissions by 20%
Hospitals participating in the partnership will have access to content and learning opportunities in 10 areas of focus:
- Adverse drug events (ADE)
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI)
- Central line-associated blood stream infections (CLABSI)
- Injuries from falls and immobility
- Obstetrical adverse events
- Pressure ulcers
- Surgical site infections
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE)
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)
- Preventable 30-day readmission
1. Arizona HEN hospitals are well under way to achieving the 40/20 goals to prevent harm and reduce readmissions. Hospitals can track their progress using the following progress report template. Hospitals are encouraged to share their progess report via the AzHHA HEN listserv. If you would like to be added to the AzHHA HEN listserv, please contact Sandy Severson at (602) 445-4303.
2. The AHA/HRET HEN has launched the website www.hret-hen.org to provide HEN resources for the states and hospitals. This website is full of information including upcoming national events, presentation information from the national Collaboratives, change package information and listserv registration.
For more information, please contact Sandy Severson at email@example.com or call (602) 445-4303.