Arizona AIM Collaborative
The Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association (AzHHA) has teamed up with the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS), the Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (AIM), and key stakeholders state-wide to create the Arizona AIM Collaborative. As the Arizona AIM Collaborative’s leading organization, AzHHA will help hospitals and clinics in our state implement maternal evidence-based practices and safety bundles. Guided by a team of experts, our goal is to end preventable maternal death and severe maternal mortality.
Why is this important?
Findings in a report published by ADHS in May of 2020 include the following:
- Severe maternal morbidity—unexpected outcomes of labor and delivery that lead to significant short- or long-term consequences to a woman’s health and wellbeing in addition to maternal mortality have increased nationally over the past decade.
- Among women in Arizona, severe maternal morbidity disproportionately affected women of color, women living below the federal poverty level, women living in rural counties and women with pre-existing chronic conditions, such as diabetes or chronic hypertension.
What is Arizona doing to improve maternal health?
Arizona has launched a number of initiatives, starting with improved surveillance of maternal morbidity and mortality. Implementation of maternal evidence-based practices and safety bundles before, during and after labor and delivery is one of the next steps.
What is AIM?
AIM is a program used by hospitals and communities across the country to improve maternal safety through implementing best practices.
The AIM program works with state teams and health systems to achieve its goals.
More information on AIM can be found on the About AIM webpage.
AIM Maternal Safety Bundles
An AIM Maternal Safety Bundle is a collection of best practices for improving maternal care and outcomes. Experts in the field have vetted these practices to ensure their effectiveness. Each bundle focuses on a specific maternal health and safety topic.
Arizona AIM is currently working on the Severe Hypertension in Pregnancy Bundle with an emphasis on health equity. More information on these bundles can be found on the AIM Severe Hypertension in Pregnancy webpage.
Other bundles to be implemented in the future include:
- Obstetric hemorrhage
- Maternal venous thrombosis prevention
- Safe reduction of primary cesarean births
- Obstetric care for women with opioid use disorder
Any Arizona birthing facility can join the growing and engaged Arizona AIM community.
AzHHA provides help and can connect you to the Patient Safety Bundles, AIM tools, and the AIM data portal.
Enrollment is voluntary, and there is no cost or deadline to join.
Download AIM Program Badges
Enrolled facilities may use the digital badges which are intended to highlight involvement and engagement in the AIM program. Please read the AIM Program Badge Use Guide prior to using badges on digital materials.
For more information, contact AzHHA’s Vice President of Care Improvement, Vicki Buchda by emailing [email protected] or calling 602-445-4311.